Cartoon Movie is organised with the support of Creative Europe MEDIA and is specially developed for European animation film projects. The conditions for participation are as follows:
WHO CAN PRESENT A PROJECT?
Any European producer whose registered office is located in a country associated with Creative Europe MEDIA can present a new animation project at Cartoon Movie.
- Countries associated with Creative Europe - MEDIA: the 27 EU countries + Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway and Republic of Serbia.
"List of non-EU Participating Countries in the Creative Europe Programme" (PDF)
CARTOON also considers eligible projects submitted by production companies based in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine.
- Attention: since the Brexit, the UK is not part of the eligible countries. Projects submitted by UK-based production companies as main producers are not eligible.
Please note that:
- Only independent production companies can submit a project.
- Production teams of selected projects must afford registration fees to Cartoon Movie.
- At least 1 representative from the main production company must attend the event.
WHICH PROJECT CAN BE SUBMITTED?
- Only 1 animated film per company can be submitted. If you have submitted a film in sneak preview, you're allowed to submit a second project in another category.
- An animation film (minimum 50% animation) of a minimum running time of 60 minutes
- Cinema quality
- Intended for theatrical distribution
- All new animation techniques are accepted
LETTER OF INTEREST
Each project must be accompanied by a written statement of interest from a distributor, a sales agent, or a streamer attesting to their interest in the project (optional for the projects in concept).
1. PROJECT SUBMISSION
The project or film that the producer submits to Cartoon Movie must be in one of the following 4 categories: project in concept, project in development, film in production or film in sneak preview. The producer must respect the admission requirements and the deadlines, and must provide the required documents as mentioned in the toolbox and on our website.
A project may be submitted to Cartoon Movie a number of times, but in a different category each time (the same project may not be submitted a second time in the same category).
Note: Producers whose project has been selected are not allowed to withdraw their project after 9 January 2024, or they will have to pay the sum of 1000 EUR. This rule is set in order to be fair to the other producers who didn't have the opportunity to be selected.
2. SELECTION CRITERIA
The selection criteria upon which Cartoon Movie’s Selection Committee will make its decision are based on the compliance with the admission requirements mentioned above and the global objectives of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme, which are as follows:
- to preserve and enhance European cultural and linguistic diversity and its cinematographic and audiovisual heritage, guarantee its accessibility to the public and promote intercultural dialogue;
- to increase the circulation and viewership of European audiovisual works inside and outside the European Union;
- to strengthen the competitiveness of the European audiovisual sector in the framework of an open and competitive European market favourable to employment, including by promoting links between audiovisual professionals.
The Selection Committee will therefore take into consideration, among other things:
- the European origin of the presented work;
- its technique easily assimilated to an animation film;
- its creative potential, its originality and its place in the international market;
- its economic and commercial prospects, its ability to create jobs in Europe, its positioning in the European market, its prospective audience;
- the ability of the producer to create European cooperations around the project;
- the novelty of the presented work.
In order to meet the objectives of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme, and notably the cultural and geographical diversity, Cartoon Movie's Selection Committee will pay particular attention to projects and films from countries that have a low audiovisual production capacity, and those promoting sustainability, inclusion and diversity.
Based on information provided in the submission documents, Cartoon Movie’s Selection Committee reserves itself the right to determine the final category of the project, for projects in concept and in development.
Cartoon Movie’s Selection Committee reserves itself the right to limit the amount of projects accepted to Cartoon Movie in order to ensure that all projects presented will have a fair and equal chance of finding potential partners (maximum 1 project per company can be accepted).
In case Cartoon Movie's Selection Committee receives an excessive amount of projects, selection will be made on the basis of the general status of the project, the admission criteria mentioned above and the overall objectives of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme.
Producers will be informed of the Selection Committee’s decision. The Selection Committee’s decision is final. In case of dispute, the producers are entitled to request a justification from the Selection Committee.
Every information fulfil in the form must be correct and comply with the rules explained above and the law (copyrights, etc). We reserve the right to ban from our events anyone who does not respect these rules.