Who can present a project?
Any European producer whose registered office is located in a country associated with the Creative Europe - MEDIA Programme can present a new animation project at Cartoon Forum.
- Countries associated with Creative Europe - MEDIA: the 27 EU countries + Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway and Republic of Serbia.
"List of non-EU Participating Countries in the Creative Europe Programme" (pdf)
CARTOON also considers eligible projects submitted by production companies based in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine.
- Attention: since the Brexit, the UK is not part of the eligible countries. Projects submitted by UK-based production companies as main producers are not eligible.
Please note that:
- Only independant production companies can submit a project.
- Production teams of selected projects must afford registration fees to Cartoon Forum.
Which project can be submitted?
- Only one TV project can be submitted per company.
- An animation project of a minimum running time of 26 minutes
The project can be a series intended for television (and streaming platforms), or a TV special. The total running time of the project (addition of all foreseen episodes) should be at least 26 minutes. Projects with a total running time shorter than 26 minutes will not be considered.
- All animation techniques are accepted with minimum 50% animation.
- In state of development
The project should have completed the pre-production phase and be therefore ready to go into production and not yet all the finance assembled.
Letter of interest
Each project must be accompanied by a written statement of interest from a broadcaster, a streamer attesting to their interest in the project.
1. PROJECT SUBMISSION
The project or series that the producer submits to Cartoon Forum must be in development. The producer must respect the admission requirements and the deadlines, and must provide the required documents as mentioned in the toolbox and on our website.
Note : Producers whose project has been selected are not allowed to withdraw their project after 26 June 2023, or they will have to pay the sum of 1000 EUR. This rule is set in order to be fair to the other producers who didn't have the opportunity to be selected.
2. SELECTION CRITERIA
The selection criteria upon which Cartoon Forum’s Selection Committee will make its decision are based on the compliance with the eligibility requirements mentioned above and the global objectives of Creative Europe - MEDIA, which are as follows:
- to preserve and enhance European cultural and linguistic diversity and its cinematographic and audiovisual heritage, guarantee its accessibility to the public and promote intercultural dialogue;
- to increase the circulation and viewership of European audiovisual works inside and outside the European Union;
- to strengthen the competitiveness of the European audiovisual sector in the framework of an open and competitive European market favourable to employment, including by promoting links between audiovisual professionals.
The Selection Committee will therefore take into consideration, among other things:
- the European origin of the presented work;
- its technique easily assimilated to an animation film;
- its creative potential, its originality and its place in the international market;
- its economic and commercial prospects, its ability to create jobs in Europe, its positioning in the European market, its prospective audience;
- the ability of the producer to create European cooperations around the project;
- the novelty of the presented work.
In order to meet the objectives of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme, and notably the cultural and geographical diversity, Cartoon Forum's Selection Committee will pay particular attention to projects and films from countries that have a low audiovisual production capacity, and those promoting sustainability, inclusion and diversity.
Based on information provided in the submission documents, Cartoon Forum’s Selection Committee reserves itself the right to determine the final category of the project, for projects in concept and in development.
Cartoon Forum’s Selection Committee reserves itself the right to limit the amount of projects accepted to Cartoon Forum in order to ensure that all projects presented will have a fair and equal chance of finding potential partners (maximum 1 project per company can be accepted).
In case Cartoon Forum's Selection Committee receives an excessive amount of projects, selection will be made on the basis of the general status of the project, the admission criteria mentioned above and the overall objectives of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme.
Producers will be informed of the Selection Committee’s decision. The Selection Committee’s decision is final. In case of dispute, the producers are entitled to request a justification from the Selection Committee.
Any producer who does not comply with the information contained in the application file during the project’s follow-up until Cartoon Forum will be barred from participation in subsequent sessions of the Cartoon Forum.