The first edition of CartoonNext in Marseille was a deep dive into the many topics touching on the future of animation. Keynotes and panels paved the way to animated discussions. The pitching sessions added a new layer of insights, and perspectives to reflect on.
It was intense & inspiring, and hopefully everyone felt enriched by these 3 days!
We were happy to welcome 250 participants from 21 countries. Among them, 33 speakers & experts were attending. 14 keynotes, panels & case studies, as well as 8 pitching sessions were presented during the event.
WHAT HAPPENED AT CARTOONNEXT 2022
- Moments dedicated to the Territory. On Tuesday 12th, a networking morning gathered together professionals and students from the Territory. 10 production companies (from Arles, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence & Marseille) presented their portfolio, and answered questions from the students of the territory.
On Monday 11th in the afternoon, the Coaching Programme was dedicated to the students: 6 schools were attending (MoPA, ENSI, Lycée Marie Curie, YNOV, Ecole de Condé, Brassart).
On Friday 15th in the morning, the mini-pitch workshop during which 6 student projects were presented in front of a professional jury ended up with the award of the following prizes:
-A writing residency offered by the Region Sud Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur for “Le Vent dans nos cheveux” by Violette Talalaeff (MoPA)
-An accreditation for Cartoon Springboard 2022 for “VID_04.mp4” by Cléa Gabanou (Lycée Marie Curie)
-A special mention by the jury for “Faut pas faire chier Mémé” by Morgane Vernadat (Lycée Marie Curie)
- At the edge of animation. Animation as an industry is evolving, and needs to take into account many other aspects touching both on creativity and business. Many talks were an invitation to explore: animé, licensing, brand extension, VR experience, diversity, minority co-productions, etc.
With Patricia Hidalgo from BBC, Lars Wagner from WarnerMedia, Orion Ross from Walt Disney EMEA, Luca Milano from RAI, Telidja Klaï from VRT-Ketnet, Marina Narishkin from Millimages, Jerome Mazandarani, Jean-René Aucouturier from Gulli-M6, Sébastien Onomo from Special Touch Studios, Luce Grosjean from Miyu Distribution, among others.
- Case studies on beloved animation movies. We were lucky enough to have the dream team of Fortiche, Pascal Charrue, Arnaud Delord & Hervé Dupont, talking about the world-wide success of “Arcane”, we’ve learned about their search for quality and the creativity freedom they had to work on their project.
Céleste Surugue, from Hachette/Albert-René Éditions/Asterix, gave an extensive view on the 60-year long history of “Asterix” from comic books until the last movie produced by Netflix.
MANY THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS
The main partners of CartoonNext are Creative Europe — MEDIA, Région Sud Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur, Aix Marseille Provence Métropole, SudAnim and Ville de Marseille.
SAVE THE DATES
- Cartoon Forum (19−22 September 2022 in Toulouse — France)
- Cartoon Springboard (25 – 27 October 2022 in Madrid — Spain)
- Cartoon Business (15−17 November 2022, Gran Canaria — Spain)
Download the highlights in PDF (English)