Here is a list of measures already put in place by Cartoon during Cartoon Movie.
VENUES, SERVICES & PROVIDERS
Our audiovisual settings and equipment are the result of a long-term partnership with Neumann & Müller, a team of Ecovadis certified technicians. They install equipment that is as sustainable as possible, such as LED lights and reusable devices.
During Cartoon Movie, our catering services are provided by our local caterer DULOU (ISO 20121), who works hand in hand with local producers in Bordeaux and the Nouvelle-Aquitaine Region and favors organic and seasonal products. As part of their environmental commitment, DULOU purchases ECO Label cleaning products, organizes delivery rounds by area and by time slot, sorts waste selectively, collects used cooking oil, and has an increasingly use of non-disposable products (e.g., by purchasing from COMATEC, which provides 100% biodegradable products), etc. More information about our caterer’s commitments
Additionally, CARTOON called on the association "Les Détritivores", whose initiative is to dispose of biowaste in containers which are then used for environmental purposes: waste sorting, composting and compost sale.
The Palais des Congrès de Bordeaux Lac is committed to a major CSR (Corporate social responsibility) approach. It is managed by BEAM (Bordeaux Events and More), an ISO 20121 certified brand providing Cartoon Movie participants with a societal, environmental, and social experience. Among these aspects: optimizing the use of energy resources, implementing water fountains inside, reducing carbon footprint related to the activities within the Congress Center, enhancing digital sobriety, etc.
Cartoon purchased furniture that is reused and installed each year for Cartoon Movie and other events such as Cartoon Forum.
The supplier for our pitching tables, Maison Options, is committed to a major CSR (Corporate social responsibility) approach. Among other measures, they recycle and sort materials, manage their energy resources and reduce CO2 emissions by optimizing their delivery schedules.
Headphone sets during the event are only given upon request to limit waste. The T-shirts Cartoon gives to the Toonies are 100% made of organic cotton, OCS100 certified and OCS Blended and PETA Approved Vegan.
Cartoon asks all partners to follow the green effort, such as:
-Reduction of goodies given on site (notebooks, pens, paper maps…)
-For the remaining goodies, an effort is put on sustainability (water bottles…)
The final decision remains the partners’ choice.
As the venue for Cartoon Movie is in the outlying areas of Bordeaux, we selected hotels that are either close to it to encourage participants to walk, or in the city center to facilitate the use of public transports. All the hotels we work with are in some measure engaged with sustainable practices such as selective sorting of trash, recycling, water control system, selection of local and organic products for breakfast, use of led lamps and sensors to reduce energy consumption.
The Intercontinental and the Best Western have both received the Green Key certificate, that is given to accommodations and restaurants committed to a voluntary, efficient and dynamic environmental approach. The high environmental standards expected of these establishments are maintained through rigorous documentation and frequent audits.
More information on each of our hotels’ commitments:
- Le Palais de la Bourse, in which the Farewell Dinner takes place, is committed to a strong CSR and ecological approach. Among its commitments: renewable energy, eco-responsible waste management, anti-food waste measures, carbon impact reduction... All the initiatives can be found here.
Both the Congress Centre where Cartoon Movie takes place and the venues of the social events are easily accessible via public transportation.
For the participants travelling to Bordeaux for the event, whenever possible we give priority to train instead of plane. For part of those travelling by plane, Cartoon contributes to projects of climate protection that compensate the CO2 emissions.
Guidebook (ex catalogue)
Since 2011 Cartoon is no longer printing the Cartoon Movie guidebook. Instead, it is sent digitally 10 days before the event to the participants in order to get prepared. Due to the many pages of the guidebook, not printing greatly contributes to the reduction of our carbon footprint.
Cartoon's mobile app provides all the important information about our events. Travel vouchers and feedback forms can only be found in the app, which considerably reduces the amount of paper printed.
Cartoon Movie’s Selection Committee always pays particular attention to projects promoting sustainability, inclusion, and diversity.
Our service provider KAOS, in charge of editing the "Croissant & Coffee Shows" trailers is in the process of applying for The Ecodynamic Enterprise Label.
- We use as less paper as possible during Cartoon Movie. We no longer print the attendance lists that we used to give to the chairperson and the producer at the beginning of the pitching sessions: instead, we send it automatically to them by email. We no longer print “Good-night” letters or flyers for the shuttles. All necessary information can now be found on our mobile app (pick-up/drop-offs, vouchers for the hotels and travels if applicable…)
- Participants still receive a printed agenda made from recycled paper. We offer the possibility to our media partners to send us a QR code for the participants to get access to the online version of the magazines. For those who want a printed version, they can pick it up on the rack at the Welcome Desk (limited stock).
- The number of magazines and goodies ordered for distribution has significantly decreased over the years to reach a number as accurate as possible: the goal being to avoid excessive printing and paper waste.
- We do not use printers during Cartoon Movie. We ask of the participants to be prepared to send all documents digitally, and to use the mobile app and the website to access essential information on our event.
- Classic signage – Classic signage such as directions, or signs are reused every year to avoid printing waste.
- Reuse of roll-ups and banners – Cartoon stores the structures of roll-ups made for single-use events, which are always reused when new roll-ups are made. A few of our reusable roll-ups have been used at Cartoon Movie for more than ten years.
Cartoon uses its own laptops both at the office and on events, to ensure computers are no longer rented to reduce CO2 emissions from road traffic.
All contracts that we send to our partners (and vice versa) are signed digitally.
Dropbox is an online storage and sharing service that we use within the team to keep all documents related to Cartoon Movie and avoid printing them.
Most of our meetings with our partners are held by video conference. This system allows us to reduce CO2 emissions by travelling less, and at the same time we have more intensive and regular exchanges with our partners - thus strengthening communication.