Conditions of admission and regulations
Only one TV project can be submitted per company.
The submitted project must be:
- an animation project (min. 50% of animation)
- of a minimum running time of 26 minutes (addition of all foreseen episodes)
- mainly intended for television (it can also be developed for the new platforms)
The project can be a series or a TV-special.
In state of development
- beyond the concept state and sufficiently polished and developed
- and must not yet have all the finance assembled.
Any European producer whose registered office is located in a country associated with Creative Europe - MEDIA can present a new animation project at the Cartoon Forum.
Countries associated with Creative Europe - MEDIA are the 28 EU countries plus Bosnia, Switzerland and the 3 EEA countries: Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.
Each project must be accompanied by a written statement of interest from a broadcaster, a video editor or a distributor attesting to their sponsorship of the project.
The producer must respect the admission requirements and the deadlines, and must provide the required documents as mentioned in the vade-mecum and in our website.
The selection criteria upon which CARTOON’s Selection Committee will make its decision are based on the compliance with the admission requirements mentioned above and the global objectives of Creative Europe - MEDIA, which are as follows:
- to preserve and enhance European cultural and linguistic diversity and its cinematographic and audiovisual heritage, guarantee its accessibility to the public and promote intercultural dialogue;
- to increase the circulation and viewership of European audiovisual works inside and outside the European Union;
- to strengthen the competitiveness of the European audiovisual sector in the framework of an open and competitive European market favourable to employment, including by promoting links between audiovisual professionals.
The Selection Committee will therefore take into consideration, among other things:
- the European origin of the presented work;
- its technique easily assimilated to an animation film;
- its creative potential, its originality and its place in the international market;
- its economic and commercial prospects, its ability to create jobs in Europe, its positioning in the European market, its prospective audience;
- the ability of the producer to create European cooperations around the project;
- the novelty of the presented work.
In order to meet the objectives of Creative Europe - MEDIA, and notably the cultural and geographical diversity, CARTOON will pay particular attention to projects from countries that have a low capacity of audiovisual production and to those from the new member states.
On the basis of the information contained in the application file, CARTOON’s Selection Committee reserves itself the right to assess the European nature of the projects received and their state of advancement before admitting them to the Cartoon Forum.
CARTOON’s selection committee reserves itself the right to limit the amount of projects accepted to Cartoon Forum in order to ensure that all projects presented will have a fair and equal chance of finding potential partners (maximum 1 project per company can be submitted). In the case CARTOON receives an excessive amount of projects, selection will be made according to the above specifications and to the overall strength of the project.
Producers will be informed of the Selection Committee’s decision. The Selection Committee’s decision is final. In case of dispute, the producers are entitled to request a written justification from the Selection Committee.
Any producer who does not comply with the information contained in the application file during the project’s production phase will be barred from participation in subsequent sessions of the Cartoon Forum.
Withdrawal of projects
Producers whose project has been selected can’t withdraw their project beyond 30 June 2014, or they will have to pay CARTOON the sum of 1000 EUR. This rule is set in order to be fair to other producers who didn’t have the chance to be selected.